Mix & Match Thrift with Current Trends
A favorite place to shop for many of us is the thrift store. One-of-a-kind, nostalgic pieces that we easily connect with. But, have you ever bought something from the thrift store that you never wear and wonder why you bought it? I have. Over the years I have learned to look for pieces with multiple uses and multiple wears, though. Which has lead me to having many thrift pieces as favorites in my closet. See below, the 5 simple things I ask myself before buying a thrifted item.
5 LCM Thrift Questions
1. Will this item fit well with the rest of my clothes?
Does this mesh with at least 5 other pieces in my closet? Yes? Winner. This ensures that I will wear this item more than once.
2. Is this something I would only wear to this one event? Or can I wear this on a regular day?
Even when I’m thrifting for a specific event, I try to get something that I know I will want to wear again.
3. How do I want to wear this?
One of the main points of thrifting is to get pieces that are missing from your closet when you want to do something creative fashion wise. Have a few ways in your mind that you can and would like to wear this item before you buy. For example, I wear this black top tied in a knot in front as pictured, fully buttoned, full unbuttoned with a cami, tied around the waste, and off the shoulder in different variations. Have in mind a few ways to wear.
4. Do I need this item to fit a little big, a little small or exactly right?
Oversized items are fun to buy from thrift stores.
5. Is this actually Vintage?
And then… sometimes we come across gems that exceed our expectations. Those are always a must buy if they meet my other style needs.
Shirt: Thrift Store (It was in San Francisco a long time ago.)
Earrings: Forever 21
Shoes: Onitsuka Tiger
* The clothes pictured in this post are not new, and may or may not be available in stores. The details with links above are to inform you of the brand or store that an item was purchased.